This week was an off-week in my drawing ability. I like to think to myself that when I’m drawing really badly, I’m about to level up! A bad drawing streak is a wonderful learning opportunity. And I learned a LOT this week.
- Sometimes a drawing is okay, but doesn’t represent the emotion or atmosphere I am trying to convey, and so I label it “Bad”
- Rushing does NOT improve my drawing but rather, gives my characters a sort of over-caffeinated look.
- Draw what the character is feeling, not what the character looks like. (My mom came up with this one, and THAT was the turning point for me.
- Look at it from another angle. I tend to go Center Stage, Camera Straight On Main Character. What if we were looking down? Or up? How can perspective help tell the story?
- Oreo Thins are delicious. I know, that has nothing to do with drawing. But it’s STILL TRUE!
- Self-care leads to more productive drawing. A good night’s sleep, a clean environment, painted toenails, exercise. Taking the time to take care of my life’s To-Do list gives me the mental space to stretch out and run around in my imagination.
Thanks for letting me share what I learned this week and some of my very messy sketches! Over the next couple weeks I’m going to take what I’ve learned and work on some of my portfolio pieces. I can see some issues with them now, and I’m looking forward to trying some new things with the old pieces 🙂 Have a wonderful week! I’ll see you next Friday 🙂